Thursday, July 17, 1986

Worked till 7:00. And then Ric Ocasek was picking us up to take us over to Madison Square Garden. Ric has a girlfriend, Paulina, who's a big model and Czechoslovakia and her mother was with them, and she looks even younger than the daughter. And I guess maybe I'm not really Czech, because I didn't understand it when they were talking.
     And we went to the Garden and I didn't know this could be done but the limo drove right into the Garden. You drive right (laughs) onto the stage. Yes, you really do. Ric and Dylan have the same manager. And he kept saying to me, "You have total freedom, total freedom. Go anywhere, take pictures anywhere -- in the bathrooms, on the stage, anyplace." And they took us into the room and Dylan was there and Tom Petty and Ron Wood. And Tom Petty's daughter was round, or maybe it was his wife. She looked just like him.
     Any Dylan looks good, he had silver-tipped cowboy boots on and he was drinking Jim Beam. And even though they'd told me I had "total freedom," I'm glad I asked before I took a picture of the three of them there, because Dylan said no. And then later Ric found out that Dylan was in a bad bad mood because he had just had a big fight with his girlfriend who's forty or fifty who I think works for the record company and at the end of the fight she'd said something to him like, "Oh go out and play you 'Mr. Tambourine Man' or whatever." And that would kill your  mood -- when your lover calls all your work you've done in your life (laughs) "whatever." So I guess he was left without an ego with a show to do.
     And the Pressman kid who owns Barneys was there, he'd been at the MTV party the night before he goes to all these music things, I don't know why. I lied and told him that I'd seen the Statue of Liberty windows at Barneys.
     I didn't get any good pictures, really, so I just took four rolls of atmosphere. And Ron Delsener was running, he went crazy at the end because if you go past 11:00 then it costs $1,000 extra a minute for the unions.
     Afterwards, at that new restaurant on 81st and Columbus, Metropolis, Dylan came in with his whole family -- all his kids and his mother, who was nice-looking with white hair. She didn't look Jewish, but everybody else did. I asked Dylan's manger if Dylan was Christian now or Jewish again, and he said Dylan's Orthodox and that's why he wasn't doing a show the next night -- that he didn't work Friday nights unless the money was really good.
     Keith Richards was supposed to come to the concert, but Patti Hansen was having their baby. Oh, also, the road manager liked Rick Ocasek's girlfriend Paulina's mother and so she was giving him her address. He was Indian. Pauling said, "We've got to get my mother laid before she has to leave New York."
    

Warhol, A. (1989). The Andy Warhol Diaries (P. Hackett, Ed.). Pg. 744-745. New York: Warner Books.