Wednesday, July 16, 1980--Monte Carlo

French TV came and asked me how did it feel to come "from the underground" to this glamorous place, and I told them they were full of baloney because I'd come here so many times and it wasn't "from the underground." And then I did a radio program and then I ran upstairs and found that Jed had gotten the copy of L'Uomo Vogue with me on the cover which makes me look so awful, and there were a lot of good-looking people inside wearing bluejeans.
     We divided up in cars and went out to have lunch with Helene Rochas and Juliete Greco's sister Charlotte and her architect husband. Everybody went swimming and we had bullshots and were so great, and then we had lunch, the best fish I ever had, the best food, it was just so glamorous, breaded fish with anise and then we had anise down by the swimming pool and we dished everybody. And then we left around 5:00 and Rocksavage dropped us off.
     There was a birthday dinner for Lynn Wyatt but I haven't bought her anything yet. Johnny Carson was going to be there and I couldn't wait to meet him. We ran into Maxine Mesinger in the lobby, she's that wonderful gossip reporter from Houston, she came here just for Lynn's birthday party.
     Got dressed, cabbed to Lynn's in Cap Ferrat ($35). We thought we'd be early but we weren't. We got there and Estee Lauder was there and Lynn took me around to introduce me to people. And the first person she introduced me to was Johnny Carson. That was really exciting. He's not short. He's tall. He has grey hair and he looks so healthy. I took lots of pictures of him. And his wife Joanna is beautiful, she used to be a model with Norell so we dished the dresses and fashion and junk like that and I didn't take any pictures, I was just too--I thought it would be too much. Everybody was too scared to sit at the Johnny Carson table but David Niven sat with him and we sat with Liz Smith who was sitting at the last table by the swimming pool. And then the king or prince of Yugoslavia said he had a Mao painting of mine.
     Everybody sang "Happy Birthday" to Lynn and then they had great fireworks, all the way around. A lot of sparkles and pink smoke and really loud firecrackers.
     There's so much in the papers about Ronald Reagan and it looks like he's on his way to become president, it does look scary. I voted once. In the fifties, I don't remember which election. I pulled the wrong lever because I was confused, I couldn't figure out how to work the thing. There was no practice model outside, it was a church on 35th street between park and Lex. This was when I was living at 242 Lexington. And then I got called for jury duty and I wrote back: "Moved." I've never voted again.

Warhol, A. (1989). The Andy Warhol Diaries (P. Hackett, Ed.). Pg. 303-304. New York: Warner Books.